One of the most commonly asked questions I get by my participants in my fitness class is about what to eat before a workout, especially since my class is very early in the morning. This has taken me a long time to figure out. I had to do a lot of experimenting myself to figure out what worked for me. I am not the type of person who can go to the gym in a fasted state like my hubby. He drinks black coffee and is out the door to take my class. I just can’t do that. I have tried and I feel like I have more energy and perform so much better with a little something before I workout. These are merely tips and suggestions of what works for me, but you may want to give a few of these a try. Here are my top favorite pre-workout or pre-run foods with a recipe included.
- No Bake Energy Bites (recipe below)
- Rice Cakes with Nut Butter (optional top with sliced banana, drizzle with honey, or sprinkle raisins on top)
- Banana with Nut Butter
- 1 slice Ezekiel toast with coconut oil, sprinkled with Himalayan sea salt
- Oatmeal with Fruit (only when I have more time before my workout 1 hour or more)
This recipe was adapted from a lot of other recipes out there. It was actually given to me by my mom who is also a fitness fanatic and runner. For some reason though hers always taste better than mine (doesn’t mom’s food always taste better).
Pre-Workout Energy Bites
- 1 Cup Dry Quick Oats or Crispy Rice Cereal
- 1/3 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup honey (can sub maple syrup or dates)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Orgain Plant Based)
- 3 TBS ground flax seeds
- 3 TBS mini dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Optional: Add 1/4 cup dried fruit
- Mix together (I use my food processor) and roll into tablespoon size balls. Refrigerate. You may have to add a bit of water or almond milk if it is too dry.