Have you guys been watching the Olympics? I am totally glued to the TV. I don’t really consider myself a major sports fan, but when it comes to the Olympics I really get into it! It’s so inspiring to watch the athletes, to hear their stories, and see their perseverance. This week is the official start of the Olympic Fitness challenge in my boot camp class at the gym. I am so excited. It was so fun to see all the activities my class members participated in over the weekend. There were even a few people dressed in Olympic attire!
Today’s workout is inspired by boxing (Olympic Sport)! I wanted to incorporate boxing style drills with my strength training. This workout can easily be done at home or at your gym.
Warm Up: Complete the following exercises for 30 seconds each.
- Boxer Shuffle or Jog in Place
- Bob and Weave
- Jumping Jacks
- Jump Rope
- Air Squats
- Front Jabs a squat position
The Workout: Cardio Kickboxing and Strength Interval Workout
Complete each exercise in the rounds 40 seconds each. Repeat 3 times before moving to the next round.
- Round 1
- Burpee with Front Kicks Right and Left
- Squat with A Single Upright Row (right and left)
- Alternating Front Kicks
- Side Jabs Right (optional: holding a small weight)
- Plyo Push Ups
- High Knees (holding small weights overhead)
- Squat Jack with a Hook
- Bicep Curls
Round 4 (core)
- Plank Punches (optional to punch with a small weight)
- Full Sit-Ups with Punches at the top (small weights)
- Scissors Crunch
Stretch and Cool Down
After the workout I had a few of my coconut cashew energy balls to refuel (recipe follows). They are yummy, especially if you like coconut. I love coconut! The coconut butter I used in this recipe is really good straight out of the jar!
On another note, today I got to spend the entire day at a sports nutrition symposium with some awesome registered dieticians including Lesli Bonci who is amazing. I am so excited to share some awesome information and recipes I learned on the blog soon. Have a great day!
- 1 cup gluten free quick cooking oats
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Cashew Butter
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (I used vegan pea protein)
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Water as needed
- Combine all ingredients together using a food processor on the pulse setting. Add water slowly as needed to soften the dough. Roll into tablespoon size balls and refrigerate.
- *Can sub vanilla whey protein powder
- *Can 1/4 cup of dried fruit
- Note: Coconut butter is different than coconut oil. It is also called coconut manna.