Hi guys! Wow did I have a crazy but awesome Friday. I went to a fitness instructor training and we worked out all day long! I was dripping sweat and my body needed electrolytes like crazy. I didn’t bring my usual homemade sports drink so I ended up just grabbing a coconut water and a kombucha to tide me over. This did not do the trick! I don’t like to drink commercial sports drinks if I can avoid it. They can be expensive and the list of ingredients and colors scares me! My girls like to drink these, but I try not to buy them if I can get away with it! So I turn to my trusty recipe adapted from Nancy Clark’s sports nutrition guidebook. Which by the way is a must read! I thought I would share the recipe with you all since I know many of you are training for tough half marathons and marathons and will definitely need this! If you are doing any type of endurance activity or workout lasting more than an hour you should always try to replenish your electrolytes.
- 1/4 Cup Natural Sweetener
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Hot Water
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice (fresh if possible) or other juice of choice
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 3 1/2 Cups Cold Water (I mix part coconut water)
- In the bottom of a pitcher or large jar dissolve the sugar and salt in the hot water. Add in the juice and remaining water and chill before serving.
- I like to use natural sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, or coconut sugar however, plain sugar is ok. I prefer to add some coconut water in for taste and the added potassium.
- Nutrition Information (For 8 ounces, plain water only)
- Calories 50
- Carbohydrates 12 grams
- Sodium 110 mg
I hope you guys give this a try especially all my runner friends out there! You can easily customize this recipe to your own taste by choosing a different flavor of juice (tart cherry or pomegranate) or taking out the lemon juice. I like the lemon flavor. You have to make sure you love the flavor so that you or your kiddos will actually drink it. Have a great day!