Hey guys with the holiday season upon us we will be surrounded by super rich foods, sugary treats, and cocktails galore. The average person gains about 1-5 pounds between Halloween and New Year’s Eve. I thought I would share a few tips to help you maintain and not gain through the holidays. Don’t worry you can still enjoy your favorite treats (in moderation)!
Be sure to eat a healthy snack and drink some water before heading out to your holiday party. You will be less likely to be starving when you arrive and over indulge.
- Bring a healthy dish to the holiday gathering or family party that way you will have something healthy and delicious to enjoy.
- Eat your regular meals prior to your big dinner (like Thanksgiving) maybe just have a smaller portion.
- Find something to focus on after finishing your meal. Avoid chatting around the table where the food is so you are not tempted to eat more.
- Eat mindfully! Concentrate on your meal while you are eating it. Focus on chewing your food well. Enjoy the different tastes, textures and smell of the foods you are enjoying. Don’t eat too fast.
- Use a smaller plate and be sure to fill it with 1/2 non-starchy veggies, 1/4 lean protein, and 1/4 with whole grains or starchy veggies.
- Limit alcoholic beverages, especially those sugary or fat laden cocktails (nix the nog).
- Enjoy your favorite treats in moderation. Don’t go overboard.
- Don’t forget to exercise! Physical activity throughout the holidays can help you manage your weight but also your stress levels.
- Don’t beat yourself up if you overindulge or have one too many cocktails. Get rid of those negative thoughts and give yourself permission, but remember to get back on track the next day.
The holidays don’t have to mean weight gain. If you focus on balance, healthy foods and physical activity you can stay healthy and on track during the season.