Hi Guys I hope you had a great New Year’s! We had a fun but low-key New Year’s Eve. We played a super fun new game called Game of Things, drank sparkling wine and ate plenty of yummy treats. It was nice. Now I am ready to conquer 2018 and start fresh again.
One of the common resolutions I hear this time of year is that people want to start running or training for a race. I thought I would share some of my tips to help you get started if running is your goal for 2018.
- Get good shoes! This is a must. Head over to a local running store and be sure to get fitted for proper running shoes.
- Get proper running gear, especially if you plan to run outside. Remember you will need reflective clothing if you plan to run in the dark.
- Run with a group. Find a group of friends or a running club. It always helps me to stay accountable if I am meeting someone or have a group that meets on a regular basis.
- Go Slow! Don’t start off too fast. Pace yourself and slowly build up your mileage. Try incorporating a walk/run method (Jeff Galloway) to start out.
- Don’t forget to warm up and cool down. Try to include some foam rolling into your cool down if possible to help with those sore muscles.
- Don’t forget to rest. Rest days are super important in your training as they allow your body to recover and rebuild.
- Add in some cross training. You will build both strength and endurance without risking overuse injuries from just running all the time.
- Set small, achievable goals.
- Keep a training log to track your miles and paces. This is nice to reflect on your training.
- Don’t get frustrated. You will have days you feel great and days you feel horrible, just remember that and keep going.
These are just a few tips I have for the beginning runner. I remember when I first started running it was HARD! With the help of some awesome friends I was able to get stronger and accomplish so many goals and PR in so many races. As long as you are patient and focus on your goals and successes it will get easier. I promise! I would love to hear any you may have as well, so please share them in the comments. Happy 2018!!!!
Check out my Facebook page I will be posting tons of tips, recipes, and workouts.
Here is the game it is so much fun!!!!