I have always said that running is cheaper than therapy (I think I saw this saying on a T-Shirt). That is so true. Today I ran 3 miles with a friend who just started running. She started a few months ago and she keeps getting faster with each run. I am so proud of her! We normally follow Jeff Galloway’s run/walk plan and today we did a shorter run focusing on increasing our speed. We did 3 miles in 28 minutes. I was glad she was there for me mentally and I am glad I got the chance to push her a bit too. My tips for new runners are to find a plan that you like and use it. Don’t feel intimidated. When I first started running I could barely run 1 mile and so I quit. Now I am totally addicted to running especially with friends. Find a friend to run with who can help you or push you when you need it. If you don’t have a friend find a local running group. Most running shoe stores can connect you with a running group. Keep track of those miles. This shows your accomplishment and can be a form of motivation. Sign up for a short race to have a goal. And most of all just go out for a run and enjoy it. Don’t get too mental. So go out for a run with a friend and enjoy it!
Today’s class at the gym was a killer class. My legs are going to be SORE tomorrow. Our class is called Insane Bootcamp and today was INSANE! Here is what we did:
Dynamic Warm Up (3 Minutes)
- Jog 30 Seconds
- Jack 30 Seconds
- Side Lunges 30 seconds each leg
- Lunges with a reach (alternating) 30 seconds
- Walk Outs with a push up 30 seconds
Round 1 Complete each exercise in the rounds for 30 seconds, repeat the round 3 times or more.
- Side Lunge Right (for higher intensity add a hop)
- Side Lunge Left
- Heel Touches
- Goblet Squat with (10-25 pound weight)
- Sumo Squat Pulses
- 1 Burpee and 4 Mt. Climbers
- Plank Jack
- Hold Plank Position and do hamstring curls 15 right and 15 left
- Squat Jump into alternating lunge hops
- Squat Kicks (right and left)
- Alternating Curtsy Lunges (with or without weights)
- Squat Jacks
- High Knees
- Walking Lunges (with weights or without)
- Wall Sits
Cool Down and Stretch for 3-5 Minutes.
This workout will really get your heart pumping and will work your legs. Approximate time is 45 minutes.