This is a great workout you can do at home or at the gym. Sometimes running on the treadmill is a little boring for me. I love incorporating running intervals into my strength training especially when I am training for a race or just trying to work on my speed. This workout will target both speed work and hill running. Enjoy!
I discovered a new treat that I am obsessed with. Lenny and Larry’s complete cookies. I have always wanted to give these a try so I did. The flavor I tried was double chocolate peanut butter swirl. They are YUMMY. There is two servings per cookie, so you have to be careful not to devour the entire thing in one sitting. They are tasty, vegan, dairy free, soy free and non-gmo. I originally bought them for my daughters, so that I could trick them into thinking I made cookies (yeah that didn’t work), but I ended up trying one and liking it. They are pretty tasty and satisfy that baked goods craving I sometimes get and my daughters are in love with them too. I can’t wait to try the other flavors and I think they have brownies too! Who doesn’t want to try a healthy brownie topped with some banana “ice cream”.
Another day of teaching Insane Boot Camp at the gym. Today’s focus was on arms and abs. It was a great workout. Most of the time was spent in the fat burning zone. I love teaching this class because of the awesome people who take it. They are so much fun. I am working on some really awesome work out graphics but until then here is what we did today.
- 30 Second Jog
- 30 Second Jack
- 30 Second Butt Kickers
- Arm Circles 30 Seconds Forward and 30 Seconds Backward
You will do each round 3 times, each exercise the round for 30 seconds. Rest when needed in between rounds.
- Front Jabs (can use a light weight)
- High Knees
- Push Ups
- Upper Cuts (can use a light weight) in sumo squat position
- Weighted Jacks (hold one weight in your hands)
- Shoulder Press (appropriate weights)
- Skater Hops (can use a light weight in each hand)
- Plank Hops (in plank position hop feet in and out to hands)
- Alternating Front Kicks (be sure to keep the core tight)
- Tricep Kickbacks (appropriate weights)
- Side Kicks Right Side 30 Sec.
- Side Kicks Left Side 30 Sec.
- Squat Jacks or Side to Side Squats
- Mt Climbers (in plank)
- Bicep Curls (appropriate weights)
- Plank 30 seconds
- Russian Twists (optional weights) 30 seconds
- Crunches 30 seconds
- Right Side Crunch 30 Seconds
- Left Side Crunch 30 Seconds
Cool Down and Stretch, be sure to stretch those arm muscles.
I have always said that running is cheaper than therapy (I think I saw this saying on a T-Shirt). That is so true. Today I ran 3 miles with a friend who just started running. She started a few months ago and she keeps getting faster with each run. I am so proud of her! We normally follow Jeff Galloway’s run/walk plan and today we did a shorter run focusing on increasing our speed. We did 3 miles in 28 minutes. I was glad she was there for me mentally and I am glad I got the chance to push her a bit too. My tips for new runners are to find a plan that you like and use it. Don’t feel intimidated. When I first started running I could barely run 1 mile and so I quit. Now I am totally addicted to running especially with friends. Find a friend to run with who can help you or push you when you need it. If you don’t have a friend find a local running group. Most running shoe stores can connect you with a running group. Keep track of those miles. This shows your accomplishment and can be a form of motivation. Sign up for a short race to have a goal. And most of all just go out for a run and enjoy it. Don’t get too mental. So go out for a run with a friend and enjoy it!
Today’s class at the gym was a killer class. My legs are going to be SORE tomorrow. Our class is called Insane Bootcamp and today was INSANE! Here is what we did:
Dynamic Warm Up (3 Minutes)
- Jog 30 Seconds
- Jack 30 Seconds
- Side Lunges 30 seconds each leg
- Lunges with a reach (alternating) 30 seconds
- Walk Outs with a push up 30 seconds
Round 1 Complete each exercise in the rounds for 30 seconds, repeat the round 3 times or more.
- Side Lunge Right (for higher intensity add a hop)
- Side Lunge Left
- Heel Touches
- Goblet Squat with (10-25 pound weight)
- Sumo Squat Pulses
- 1 Burpee and 4 Mt. Climbers
- Plank Jack
- Hold Plank Position and do hamstring curls 15 right and 15 left
- Squat Jump into alternating lunge hops
- Squat Kicks (right and left)
- Alternating Curtsy Lunges (with or without weights)
- Squat Jacks
- High Knees
- Walking Lunges (with weights or without)
- Wall Sits
Cool Down and Stretch for 3-5 Minutes.
This workout will really get your heart pumping and will work your legs. Approximate time is 45 minutes.