Hi everyone, I hope you all had a great 4th of July weekend. We sure did. We got to spend time with family and friends which is always the best.
Lately I have been trying to incorporate new foods and snack items into my daily meals to change it up a bit. I am usually a creature of habit but lately I have been getting bored with the same meals and snacks. I thought I would share some of the new things that I have been trying lately that I love. So here are a few of my latest food finds.
- Naked PB and Naked Protein Powder. It is so hard to find a good protein powder that is clean and dairy free. So I bought the sample pack of Naked Protein Powder and all of the dairy free options were really good. I tried the goat, rice, and pea. They were all unflavored. I added them to my smoothies and my banana oat pancake recipe. The verdict=I would definitely buy this again. I am actually going to buy the Naked Pea protein in vanilla and chocolate.
- Organic Black Bean Spaghetti. This stuff is amazing!!!!! One serving has 180 calories, 2 grams fat, 17 carbohydrates, and a whopping 25 grams of protein. The thickness is similar to an angel hair pasta, the taste is not strong and very subtle. I was expecting a bean taste, but there really wasn’t. We had it with sautéed shrimp in olive oil and herbs. It really soaked up the flavor. Next time I will try it with a traditional spaghetti sauce. Even my hubby the pasta lover in the family liked it! The verdict=definitely buy again.
- Crio Bru brewed cocoa. I am trying to limit my caffeine intake, which is really hard! I usually only drink 2 cups a day, but I am trying to cut back to one cup. So based on the advice given from my naturopath I tried this coffee alternative. Surprisingly it has a similar taste to coffee without the caffeine. According to the packaging “Crio Bru is the ultimate superfood, a delicious all-natural coffee alternative made from the finest fair trade cocoa beans, roasted and ground and brewed just like coffee. But unlike coffee, it’s 99% caffeine free, high in antioxidants and theobromine for a focused, Honest Energy™ boost that will keep you feeling great all day, without jitters or sleeplessness.” The taste is similar to a very dark chocolate. The Verdict=It’s good, but I am not sure I would drink it a lot. I may just stick to one cup of coffee if I can.
- Kirkland Protein Bars. These I cannot eat due to the whey protein but I am writing this on behalf of my hubby. These are almost identical to a Quest Bar in taste and texture. The only difference is that these are sweetened with stevia and there are only 2 flavor options. Cookie dough, my hubbys fave and chocolate brownie. They are also a ton cheaper. Under $1 a bar. Quest bars are usually $2-$3 a bar. I soooo wish I could eat these!!! The Verdict=Buying these for the hubby for sure!
- Humm Kombucha in Pomegranate Lemonade. I LOVE LOVE LOVE kombucha. I even tried to make it once but that didn’t go very well. So I am back to buying it. Here in Boise we can get growlers of Humm Kombucha filled up and it is much cheaper than buying it in the bottle. If you don’t know what kombucha is it is a fermented sweet tea. It’s a nice alternative to drinking sparkling water, tea, or other sweetened beverages and it’s good for you. It’s loaded with antioxidants, probiotics, and B vitamins. My new favorite flavor is pomegranate lemonade, it is so refreshing for summer. I also love lemon ginger and my daughter’s love coconut lime. The Verdict=love this flavor and I will keep buying it for sure!
I just wanted to share with you a few of my faves right now. I am NOT getting paid to endorse any of these items (I wish)! Give them a try and let me know what you think in the comments below. I love to hear new snack ideas and foods that other people are trying.