Do you remember those yummy rice crispy treats you ate growing up or maybe you still do? I loved those when I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter and one time I ate an entire pan. OOPS! Leave it to my mom to find a healthy alternative to those yummy treats. She is a baker by profession and has been adapting recipes for me to fit into my healthy eating plan. So I thought I would share this recipe. It’s super easy and it has only 4 ingredients. You could have it as a pre-workout snack or even dessert. And my kids LOVED them too. These would make a perfect lunch box snack.
Peanut Butter Protein Rice Cereal Treats
- 5 Cups Crisp Rice Cereal (can use brown rice cereal)
- 1/2 Cup Honey (adjust to your taste)
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter or other Nut Butter
- 4 Scoops Vanilla Protein Powder (I use Orgain) (approx. 1/2 cup)
Melt the honey and peanut butter and stir together until creamy. Add the cereal and protein powder and mix well. Scoop into a pan. I used coconut oil spray to make sure they didn’t stick. Press down into the pan (9×9) and let sit. Cut into squares. I cut mine into about 19 small squares. You could also use chocolate protein powder as well.
Here is the nutritional breakdown. I entered it all in My Fitness Pal. Your numbers may vary depending on the size of your squares and type of protein and nut butter used.
114 Calories Per Square 4 Grams Fat 17 Grams Carbs 4 Grams Protein
Today’s class at the gym was a killer class. My legs are going to be SORE tomorrow. Our class is called Insane Bootcamp and today was INSANE! Here is what we did:
Dynamic Warm Up (3 Minutes)
- Jog 30 Seconds
- Jack 30 Seconds
- Side Lunges 30 seconds each leg
- Lunges with a reach (alternating) 30 seconds
- Walk Outs with a push up 30 seconds
Round 1 Complete each exercise in the rounds for 30 seconds, repeat the round 3 times or more.
- Side Lunge Right (for higher intensity add a hop)
- Side Lunge Left
- Heel Touches
- Goblet Squat with (10-25 pound weight)
- Sumo Squat Pulses
- 1 Burpee and 4 Mt. Climbers
- Plank Jack
- Hold Plank Position and do hamstring curls 15 right and 15 left
- Squat Jump into alternating lunge hops
- Squat Kicks (right and left)
- Alternating Curtsy Lunges (with or without weights)
- Squat Jacks
- High Knees
- Walking Lunges (with weights or without)
- Wall Sits
Cool Down and Stretch for 3-5 Minutes.
This workout will really get your heart pumping and will work your legs. Approximate time is 45 minutes.
Ok, so I decided to embark on the 21 Day Sugar Detox featured in the book by Diane Sanfilippo. I am not doing this for weight loss, more trying to kick the sugar cravings I have. Today hasn’t been too bad. I had a green tipped banana for breakfast and that is about all for the fruit intake. I think not eating as much fruit is going to be the tough one.
Twice as ready for this marathon!