It’s official. I am back to school. For those of you who don’t know besides teaching fitness classes I also teach theater and speech at a Junior High. This keeps me really busy. Plus I have two daughters who are involved in a lot of sports and activities. So sometimes I am throwing dinner together at the last minute like I did last night! Here is a quick healthy meal option for those who are like me and scrambling to put a healthy and tasty dinner on the table for your family.
Back To School Bowls
One of my plans with my prepped meal items was to make some bowls! I love burrito bowls from one of those popular healthy fast food restaurants, but they are pricey! What I loved about these bowls was that each person could customize their bowl just how they like it. I had chicken, avocado, mango salsa, fresh tomatoes, homemade pickled jalapenos and brown rice tortilla chips. My daughters each customized their bowls totally different but never complained because they got to make their own choices. Bowls are so easy to make and there is not really a recipe you need to follow. Just pick one item from the list below and you will have a custom built bowl loaded with power foods!
Pick a Whole Grain
- Brown Rice
- Whole Grain or Gluten Free Pasta
- Black Bean Pasta (high in protein and lower carb)
- Steel Cut Oats
Pick a Protein
- Ground Beef
- Shredded Roast
- Diced or Canned Chicken
- Diced Ham
- Nuts and Seeds
- Tuna or Shrimp
Add Some Veggie Power Any diced veggies or frozen veggies will work and are convenient.
- Finely Chopped Broccoli or Cauliflower (the kids won’t even notice it)
- Mixed Roasted Veggies (get a bag and roast them in the oven in olive oil for 15-20 minutes until brown and crisp)
- Bell Peppers
- Any leftover veggies you have in the fridge
Add Some Flavor
- Honey Mustard
- Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (a soy sauce alternative I love)
- Thai Chili Sauce
- Salad Dressing (I make my own or buy Annie’s Brand)
- Mrs. Dash Seasonings (garlic herb and southwest chipolte are my faves)
There are endless possibilities to the bowls you can make. You could make a breakfast bowl, a burrito bowl, an asian style bowl. You could really get creative and if you have all of your food items prepped and ready, all you need to do is assemble, heat and eat! This will definitely be a back to school go-to dinner for me.
I hope you all have a great weekend! If you have any quick dinner ideas please comment I love to hear new ideas for those crazy nights!