Hi Guys. School is officially off to a great start and sports are in full swing. I don’t know about you guys but when I pick up my girls from sports practice the first thing out of their mouth is “I’m starving”. I learned a great tip from Leslie Bonci while attending the Idaho Sports Nutrition Symposium a few weeks ago. Bring a snack in the car to your kiddos so they can eat it on the way home. Then you won’t feel like you have to rush to get dinner on the table. Brilliant! For those of you without kids or are in college sports these are also great post workout/sports snack options too. Here are a few of our family’s favorite combos. They provide both carbs and protein so you can refuel post workout and are portable.
Post Workout and Sports Practice Snack Ideas
- String Cheese and Sliced Apples
- 8 Ounces of Chocolate Milk
- Beef Jerky and a Piece of Fruit
- Kind Bar or Protein Bar (made with natural ingredients)
- No Bake Energy Bites and Fruit
- Pretzels and String Cheese
- Trail Mix (I like to make my own with dried fruit, nuts, and pretzel pieces)
- Protein Shake (I keep protein powder in my bag in a shaker bottle just in case I need it)
- Apple Peanut Butter Rings (kinda messy but worth it)
- Nut Butter and Banana Slices on a Rice Cake
Give these a try. It’s important to get in your post workout recovery nutrition in within 30-45 minute to refuel the body, repair muscle tissue and keep you from being ravenous when you get home. Don’t forget to drink water or a sports drink if you have been working out for more than an hour and are a heavy sweater.
Now that you have a snack idea why not give one of them a try after today’s Workout of the Day
The Dirty Thirty Boot Camp Workout
This is one of my favorite workouts to do in my class. It is a great total body workout and can be done at the gym or at home. All you need is a set of weights and a mat and your are ready to get sweaty!
Warm Up: 3-5 minutes of dynamic exercises
Complete the following exercises for 30 seconds each. Try to complete as many rounds as possible within 30 minutes.
- Bicep Curls
- Squat Jumps
- Weighted Squats
- Alternating Weighted Back Lunges
- Lunge Hops
- Push Ups
- Squat Jacks or Regular Jumping Jacks
- Bent Over Rows
- Mountain Climbers
- Plank (hold in extended arm planks)
- Rest for 30 Seconds to 1 Minute and Repeat for 30 minutes
I hope you guys have a great weekend. If you have any great post-workout kid friendly snack ideas please share them in the comments!