One of the most commonly asked questions I get by my participants in my fitness class is about what to eat before a workout, especially since my class is very early in the morning. This has taken me a long time to figure out. I had to do a lot of experimenting myself to figure out what worked for me. I am not the type of person who can go to the gym in a fasted state like my hubby. He drinks black coffee and is out the door to take my class. I just can’t do that. I have tried and I feel like I have more energy and perform so much better with a little something before I workout. These are merely tips and suggestions of what works for me, but you may want to give a few of these a try. Here are my top favorite pre-workout or pre-run foods with a recipe included.
- No Bake Energy Bites (recipe below)
- Rice Cakes with Nut Butter (optional top with sliced banana, drizzle with honey, or sprinkle raisins on top)
- Banana with Nut Butter
- 1 slice Ezekiel toast with coconut oil, sprinkled with Himalayan sea salt
- Oatmeal with Fruit (only when I have more time before my workout 1 hour or more)
This recipe was adapted from a lot of other recipes out there. It was actually given to me by my mom who is also a fitness fanatic and runner. For some reason though hers always taste better than mine (doesn’t mom’s food always taste better).
Pre-Workout Energy Bites
- 1 Cup Dry Quick Oats or Crispy Rice Cereal
- 1/3 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup honey (can sub maple syrup or dates)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Orgain Plant Based)
- 3 TBS ground flax seeds
- 3 TBS mini dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs (sometimes I leave these out)
- Optional: Add 1/4 cup dried fruit
- Mix together (I use my food processor) and roll into tablespoon size balls. You can also roll them in coconut or cocoa powder as well. Refrigerate. You may have to add a bit of water or almond milk if it is too dry.