I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. We did! For the past 8 years a bunch of our friends have been running in the Sawtooth Relay. The relay is so much fun and has become our tradition. It’s like our kick off to summer fun! The relay is held every year and it starts in beautiful Stanley Idaho and ends in Ketchum, Idaho near the Sun Valley Resort. The relay has 12 legs which 6 people run. The total mileage is 61.9 miles. Each person on the team runs 2 legs. This year I tackled leg 1 and leg 7. Leg 7 is hard. The total mileage is 6.02 miles and elevation loss is 1411. It is down hill!!!!!! I ran a 7:03 pace and felt awesome. It was beautiful. We had a great race despite a few injuries and being tired.
One of the things we have learned in all the years we have run this race was what to pack. Here is some advice on what to pack if you are planning to run a relay race in the future. Keep in mind our race is in the Sawtooth Mountains so temperatures can be in the 30’s and can warm up to the 80’s by the end of the day.
- Clothes! A lot of clothes for every type of weather! We have run in rain, snow and heat. So you never can have too many options. Don’t forget extra clothes so you can change out of your stinky wet clothes after your leg of the race.
- Wipes and Toilet Paper. This year several of the porta potties ran out and it is nice to have some available.
- Deodorant, you don’t want to stink up your van!
- Ibuprofen, there may be aches and pains.
- Water Jugs, we buy the big water jugs to save space and help the environment and then we just fill our own water bottles as we go.
- Snacks and drinks! We love pretzels, PB and J, bananas, coconut water, Lara bars, cookies (my friends make the best cookies) and beer (for after of course)!
- Music and Headphones
- Cell Phone
- Phone or Ipod Chargers
- Shoes and extra shoes and socks in case it pours down rain or snows.
- Running Belts
- Garmin if you use one
- Massage Roller (the stick)
- Headlamps and Reflective Vests, especially if you are running in the dark.
- Stopwatch or Timing Device
- Flip Flops or Uggs because it is nice to take off your running shoes.
- Sweat Pants and Sweatshirts
- First Aid Kit
Things we didn’t pack this year but should have!
- Van Decorating Stuff! Every year we say we are going to decorate our van and somehow we never do. It’s always fun to see all the decorated vans with sayings etc.
- More Protein! After my last leg of the race I wanted protein so bad. So we decided next year we will include post run snacks like deli meat, hard-boiled eggs, cheese sticks and protein shakes.
- Yoga Mat, we have had one in the past but forgot this year. It’s nice to throw it down on the side of the road and do a few down dogs and stretches.
If you ever get the chance to be part of a relay race do it! It is so much fun. You get to spend the day with some awesome people doing what you love and in our case doing it in the beautiful Sawtooth Mountains!
For more information on the Sawtooth Relay http://sawtoothrelay.com/